An avid supporter of the creative pursuits of others, Athena is glad to offer manuscript consultations upon request.
To discuss sample edits or individualized services that fit both your project and your budget, please review the following rate information and contact Athena at email@example.com.
- Personal Video Coaching Sessions
- Have you reached a roadblock in your current project? This service offers in-text comments and suggestions for up to ten pages of work and up to one hour of a personal video chat to review, discuss, and plan the next steps of your manuscript. Please note, this service does not include an Editor's Review letter. Rate: $175.00
- Individual Essay Consultation
- Planning for submission to your dream publication or perhaps you are crafting the anchor piece of your collection? This service provides a detailed review of up to 7,000 words of a standalone personal essay or short story. Included along with in-text comments and suggestions is a detailed Editor's Review letter. Rate: $350.00
- Chapbook Length Prose
- Crafting a novella or short essay collection? This service offers in-text comments and suggestions as well as an Editor's Review letter for works up to 100 pages. This service does not require a standalone work. Rate: $500.00
- Full Developmental Edit
- Have you completed a draft of your work and now it's time for a fresh pair of eyes? This service includes a full overview of your manuscript as well as in-text comments, suggestions, and a detailed Editor's Review letter for up to 80,000 words. Rate: $1,500 to $2,500 to be determined by the scope of project.
Unfortunately, line edits are not available at this time.
Athena is incredibly smart about pointing out the nuances of not only what I’ve actually written, but what I meant to write. She’s great at identifying places in the text I need to push a little farther, reach a little more, or question an assumption I didn’t even know I was making. As a mid-career writer, I find Athena’s editing is at a level that truly challenges me to make my work better, in a way I haven’t experienced since grad school. Her sophisticated, spot-on commentary keeps me enthusiastic and leaves room for creativity within a framework of “now I know what the problem is, so I can fix it!” As a professional editor myself, there are very few people I will refer clients to for high-level work, and Athena is number one on the list. Hire her—you’ll be so glad you did.
--Allison K Williams, Social Media Editor of Brevity Magazine and author of Get Published in Literary Magazines
An editor is an essential partner in the writing process. Their role is to make your work the best it can be. To do that Athena looks beyond the work's surface to its fundamental essence - its voice, its meaning, its purpose. She has worked with me to go deeper in pursuit of the story's truth and to find the means to speak that truth. Athena's own work as a poet, essayist, fiction writer, and publisher reflects her expertise with all aspects of the craft: language, structure, character development, dialogue, scene, etc. She is an ideal partner/editor because she improves your work without changing its essence.
Athena Dixon’s multi-genre experience gives her an edge as an editor. As a poet, Dixon has a nuanced perspective on voice, language, flow, and precision. Her extensive work in fiction gives her an overarching view on plot, tension, and character development, and her creative nonfiction has sharpened her lens for depth and emotional resonance. Combined with her years as an editor, Athena has a unique and multi-faced perspective, but just as important is her ability to layer critique with enthusiasm. She can see what the piece is trying to become in spite of its flaws and helps guide it into its best version.
—Lara Lillibridge, author of Girlish: Growing Up in a Lesbian Home, a Foreword Book of the Year Finalist, and Mama, Mama, Only Mama
Athena has provided me with edits on pieces I’ve written and she’s really helped me hone in on what’s working and what’s not. On top of having incredible know-how (editor of a literary journal, writer of poetry, fan fiction, memoir & essays, co-host of a podcast, etc etc.) she’s got a big heart for this work and quite literally helps turn women writers into warriors. As in all arenas, we could also really use more women of color providing editing services. All this goes to say: I trust her deeply. I love her specific editorial touch, and I couldn’t recommend her more.